By Tony Rochford
Leo Varadkar Central heating systems need a source of water to work .Before 2000 there were two tanks in the attic the small one was for the heating and the big one supplied water for the house showers, toilets,and immersion .
With no regulations the plumbers found that if they stopped using the small tank but instead used a cheap €4 (so called) non return valve to connect to the main tank they save around €300.
The problem is these valves have a leak tolerance and can fail in open position which means bacteria and chemicals leak back into the water used to shower and bathe. When showering or bathing you inhale steam contaminated with this toxic fluid which will cause disease ,organ or brain damage .
The Oireachtas committee have agreed that it is a cause of concern and have recommended that legislation should be put in place to make these types of connections illegal but still procrastinate about doing an investigation HSE Ireland disease rate figures indicate that something serious is wrong with most waterborne rates skyrocketing .
They now want to push the debate back to next term and if Kenny calls an election early the debate and investigation will get buried . 49 school kids nearly died in 1992 when 1 of these valves failed in the open position in USA
IF EVERYONE CONTACTS THE MEMBERS OF THE COMMITTEE THEY MIGHT DEBATE THE ISSUE AGAIN BEFORE SUMMER RECESS